Signs of stroke and how to prevent it
‹ BackOther symptoms of stroke may include:‹ Back
How to spot a stroke?Time is of crucial essence in stroke treatment. Treatment for ischemic stroke is most beneficial when given during the first few hours of stroke symptoms. To recognise a stroke, think FAST.
F Face Try smiling and check whether one side of the face is drooping.
A Arms Raise both arms and check whether one arm drifts downwards.
S Speech Repeat a phrase or sentence and check for slurring of speech.
T Time If you or someone experience any of the signs above, call 995 for the ambulance and inform the operator that it is a suspected stroke.
- Sudden weakness or numbness in the face, arms or legs, particularly if one side of the body is affected.
- Sudden difficulty in seeing with one or both eyes.
- Sudden difficulty in walking.
- Sudden dizziness, imbalance or uncoordinated movement.
- Disorientation and incomprehensible speech in someone who is normally coherent.